Wednesday 26 March 2008

Kevin Manley


I first met Kevin two years ago after he had stopped using drugs. There was something about him which I couldn't quite put my finger on. It was an inner peace, something special. Of course, given his previous drug-using career, he potentially had some struggles ahead of him as he moved along his path of recovery. But there was this calm.
Our film-maker Jonathan Kerr-Smith and Lucie made a 35-minute film, which included his mother Kerry, that describes parts of Kevin's life. I am very proud of this Wired In film and it greatly moved me. Since then, I have been able to watch Kevin move along his path of recovery, and we have shared some special moments together. He is a special friend to my young children.
Kevin has been a Wired In volunteer for the past two years and I am confident that he has much to contribute to this field. This is his Personal Story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful David.

That aura of inner peace you describe is one of the many rewards along the unpredictable journey of recovery.

It is a gift that cannot be taken away; a gift of an experience that those still suffering are unable to comprehend is theirs for the asking, but which also has to be earned.

It is also a gift that those who have never experience the slavery of addiction, may struggle for, but never experience.

It is not a religeous experience but a spiritual one, available to those who beging the long journey back from their own personal hell.

I wish Kevin a long and happy recovery, and I would consider it a privilege to learn of his continuing growth.

I also hope that many others will be inspired by Kevin. and come to realise that recovery is available, and those that seek it, will find it.

Personal stories are important, not only do they serve to remind us of the desperation and despair of addiction, they are also a source of inspiration to those of us, who endevour, sometimes ineffecually, to assist others in finding recovery, and hopefully to those who may have mistakenly believed, or been led to believe that they 'weren't ready'.

Anyone who expresses the desire to become free is ready, it simply that it is more difficult for some, whilst too challenging for those who lable others 'not ready'

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at wiredinstories.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from this post right above if I give a backlink back to this site?

Thanks,
Alex